Santa Maria delle Penitenti
The Church of Santa Maria delle Penitenti, is part of a large complex: Pio Loco delle Penitenti, located on the canal Cannaregio, near its exit to the lagoon in the Northwest edge of Venice. It gained its name as a charitable institution providing an alternative life to former prostitutes, akin to a Magdalene asylum.
The complex consists of a church, located on the canal, and two lengthy wings housing the women with two interior courtyards. The original design was completed by Giorgio Massari by 1725. The wings were completed in three stories from 1730-1738, but the church facade was never completed and superior portions remain in brick.