The loggia on the second floor of the Bovolo staircase leads to a prestigious Room of the Contarini Palace, where some works coming from the IRE art collection are displayed.
The IRE collection includes paintings, sculptures and applied arts objects. This “extended” Museum of the Venetian assistance is the fruit of the benefactors’ generosity in the past, expressed by the artistic furnishings in the churches and the oratories adjoining the small hospices,as well as in the legacy of private properties, whereby some important artistic collections reached the IRE.
The selection of paintings and sculptures featured in the Room offers a small, but significant crosssection of the Venetian patrician taste at that time. Moreover, it bears witness to one of the most eminent protagonists of the 16th-century and 17th-century artistic Venetian panorama. Charity and Devotion, intended in all their forms, are the leading theme of the works of art displayed.
The collection includes the painting commissioned for a Church or for the altar of an Oratory (as is the case with the two paintings by Giuseppe Angeli, which are a matching pair and were commissioned for the Ca’ di Dio Church and the altarpiece of the San Ludovico di Domenico Tintoretto Oratory) and the sketch of the Paradiso at the Ducal Palace, which was commissioned to Jacopo Tintoretto and is part of the cultural assets of the Ospedaletto since 1750.
Some other pictures on display are the portrait of the Moor of Venice Lazzaro Zen, adopted and grown as a child by the noble Zen family, painted by himself and donated to the Cathecumens as a token of gratitude for the hospitality he had received, and the portrait of the noblewoman Marina Nani Donà, who donated an extremely rich art collection to the Penitents.
Three of its important works are here displayed: one painting by Carlo Loth, another one by Nicolò Bambini and a third one by Sebastiano Ricci.