The Complesso dell’Ospedaletto has its origin in 1528, as the terrible famine struck the Venetian countryside. The Ospedaletto was used to provide shelter from winter, help and first sanitary aid.
The Complesso is next to the Basilica of Saints John and Paul. Over the centuries it became an important center of devotion and care, rich in works of art by different artists such as: G. B. Tiepolo, Jacopo Palma il Giovane, Carl Loth, Baldassarre Longhena e Giuseppe Sardi.
At the same time, Girolamo Miani introduced the teaching of singing to his girl orphans hosted at the Ospedaletto. The musical activity determines the birth of one of the major centers of music and sing in Venice.
The complex consists of several sites such as: